Frozen Pipe Prevention Tips
Most of us are becoming familiar with the term “Polar Vortex”. Before you dismiss this term as irrelevant for those of us who live in Richmond Virginia, consider this weather update from New Orleans
Cold harsh weather has an impact on all of us, especially those who are not prepared for the affects of severe cold temperatures.
Did you know that frozen pipes are one of the biggest risks of property damage when temperatures drop?
According to the Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety, a burst pipe can cause more than $5,000 in damage.
Did you know that a pipe with a 1/8 inch crack can release 250 gallons of water a day?
Source Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety.
We believe that prevention is the best way to avoid the inconvenience and cost of water damage from frozen pipes, so we have prepared this resource page of tips and suggestions to help you prepare for cold temperatures. However, when pipes do freeze causing water damage then quick response is critical.
Here is some advice on what to do when your pipes burst. – Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety
Property owners need to do everything possible to reduce their risks and costs. Acting quickly is critical.
- Immediately shut off the main water supply to the home.
- If heated water is coming from the broken pipe then shut the valve at the hot water supply.
- After shutting down the water call for help.
- Take an inventory of damaged belongings.
Preventing and thawing a Frozen Water Pipe – Home Repair
- Do you know how to thaw pipes that are behind walls?
- Should you use a heat lamp or infrared lamp; is one better than the other?
From prevention to thawing frozen pipes discover 8 steps to preventing and dealing with frozen pipes. You’ll find there is more than one way to thaw frozen pipes.
Find the answers to the questions above and some important prevention tips.
Thawing Frozen Pipes – Howstuffworks
- What do you do if you discover one of your water pipes has frozen solid?
- Are you safe from water damage due to frozen pipes if you have pipes that are in good working order?
- Discover 2 steps to thawing frozen pipes
How to Prevent Frozen Water Pipes – WikiHow
If an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, you’ll want to check out these 10 prevention steps. The best way to deal with frozen pipes is not allowing the water to freeze in the pipes!
Each of the 10 steps is illustrated with an image. And, there is a video illustrating some of the handy tips.
Advice and Tips for Preventing and Thawing Frozen Pipes – American Red Cross
From an organization dedicated to readiness, you’ll find tips and preventative steps to help avoid the mess created by frozen pipes.
If you discover water damage or the potential for water damage contact us right away, we are on call 24/7.