Even though mold is unsightly, being able to see the mold is helpful because it helps you clean it away faster. When you actually see the mold, you know exactly where it is located and what you need to clean. Unfortunately, mold can sometimes hide away in your home, wreaking a lot of havoc without your knowledge.

In that case, it is important to know some sneaky signs of mold. At first, these signs may not seem like much, but they may show you that you have a serious health issue within your home. As a result, you and your loved ones could have some serious health problems despite not being able to see the mold.

Some Weird Signs that you May Have Mold in Richmond

1. Funky Smell

Is your air conditioner, specifically standalone air conditioners, or heater producing a nasty smell that you just can’t pinpoint? If so, mold may be to blame.

Mold loves camping out in standalone air conditioning units. These units are dark, damp, and frequently warm when not in use. In other words, they are the ideal location for mold. Especially if these units are placed in a basement or closet, mold could seriously be hiding out.

Most of the time, HVAC units with mold tend to have a nasty smell. This is a helpful sign since few people take the time to check out their HVAC systems for mold. If your home smells weird, especially when the AC or heating system is running, check for mold.

2. You Have “Seasonal” Allergies All Year Long

Many people experience seasonal allergies, which are allergies that worsen during a certain season, such as spring or fall. However, some people think they have “seasonal” allergies, but their allergies persist all year long. This sort of allergic reaction should not be classified as seasonal.

If you have allergies, no matter the time of year or how much allergy medicine you take, mold may be to blame. Notice when and where you feel at your worst. For example, you may notice that your “allergies” get worse when you sit for long periods of time in your basement. Start checking for mold in the locations that trigger your allergies and go from there.

3. Peeling Wallpaper

Wallpaper is a great way to decorate your home and give it your own personality. Sometimes, you may notice that your wallpaper is starting to peel, chip, or get a bit scruffy. Under normal circumstances, that is completely normal. However, chipping wallpaper can be indicative of a larger problem.

If you notice that your wallpaper is bubbling and peeling, it is almost guaranteed to be tied to extra moisture and mold. Even if mold is not present yet, excess moisture will make mold grow. So, it is smart to deal with the moisture right away.

4. You Feel Tired All the Time

For people who are more sensitive to mold, toxic mold may cause them to feel more tired and fatigued. Obviously, feeling tired can be a symptom of a lot of things, but if it only worsens when you are at your house, then mold may be to blame. Instead of hitting the snooze button on repeat, it may be time to check out potential mold in your home.

5. Dark Grout

Go into your kitchen or bathroom and look at the grout between the tiles. What color is it? If the grout is dark, mold is likely hanging out between the tiles. Luckily, this type of mold is likely harmless, but it is smart to clean it, nonetheless.

Especially if your bathroom or some other area has flooded recently, the suspicious dark grout could be a sign of a dangerous mold growth.

6. You Can’t Get Rid of a Cold

Mold can trigger a lot of health issues, especially to those with allergies. Many of the symptoms of mold are similar to that of the common cold. This includes things like a runny nose, sneezing, and headaches.

If you notice that you have a cold that simply will not go away, it might be because you have mold in your house. To find out if mold may be the cause, pay attention to when you feel your worst? If it is in a certain room or in your house in general, mold may be the sneaky culprit.

Take note of the exact room you have the most symptoms in. That will give you a good starting point as to where to look for the mold.

7. You Feel Itchy

A lot of people don’t realize that the towel you leave in your bathroom or the clothes you leave out to dry can also experience mold growth. If you constantly feel itchy, then this may be the problem for you.

Make sure that you do not leave clothing or towels on the floor, especially in your bathroom. Instead, practice good hygiene by washing your clothing frequently and making sure they dry properly.

8. Sink and Toilet Flooding

If you notice that your sink, toilet, or any other home appliance is flooding, it is best to assume that mold is coming next, if it is not already there. Treat all floods as a potential site of mold and treat them accordingly.

Even a little bit of flood or water damage can lead to a whole lot of mold. This is especially true since mold can grow in under 24 hours. Make sure your home is protected by treating any leaks or floods right away.


If you notice any of these weird signs or see mold in your house, you need to hire a water restoration professional right away. Mold is not only unsightly and damaging to your home, but it can also severely damage your health. Don’t let mold go unchecked.

Whether you see signs of mold in your home or have recently experienced a flood, contact VRS right away. Our Richmond restoration team can help you easily and effectively clean up your home.